Monday, May 24, 2010

Do all kids lie...or is it just mine?

So if you have been following along you know that Booger lost a couple library books...at some point during this school year. UGH. Well we found one but not the other as of Friday.

I get a call at work on Friday from the hubs that says Booger went to the library and talked to the librarian and she said both books were there but he still didn't get his report card. So in charges mom to find out why he doesn't have his report card. I get a phone message back from what I percieve to be a VERY snarky librarian who suggusts that perhaps Booger should check his room more thoroughly. Yeah..since we haven't done that already huh? Witch! Anyhow I come home and start discussing this matter with the the hubs and decide to check Boogers backpack (since he didn't take it to school on Friday)-LO and BEHOLD what do I find?? The library book we did find on the shelf!! He didn't take it back to school!! OMG!! I was stupified! Booger wasn't home for me to ask why he hadn't taken the book back but he was sure going to tell me why at earliest opportunity!!

So when I pick him up from my sisters the conversation went something like this: Booger who did you you talk to at the library about those books? (Now he knows I never ask a question I don't already know the answer to) The librarian. Which one? There is only one mom! Okay. Booger are you sure you turned in the book we found on the shelf? Um, well, I forgot. Booger, why did you tell dad that both the books were found and they were in the library? Because I didn't want to be in trouble for not turning in the books! Well Booger, now you are in trouble for lying! One week no video games.

All three of my kids lie. They lie about turning in papers, they lie about doing their homework, they lie about stupid stuff. Like did you clean your room? Yes. Okay let's go check...oh wait mom! I have to go put some stuff away! I mean seriously it must just be a knee jerk reaction for kids to just say whatever it is that mom or dad want to hear to get them to shut up and leave them alone!

I am truly worried about my older son...he seems to lie about some pretty big things...not to me but to his friends. He has told some whoppers-at one point he was telling his friends he was a pro-BMX rider. He has never even rode BMX. He wants to but never has. He lies to his girlfriends. They bust him in those lies and dump him!! Which I secretly love-good for them-don't put up with my lying sons behavior. Don't get me wrong, my heart breaks everytime his does but he has to learn somehow. I definately worry about his lying...more so than the other two. But I can't really get too hard on his case for lying to his friends...the punishment he faces tfrom them is far worse than anything I could do to him. I just try to remind him that lying is not acceptable and that his friends obviously don't like it.

Honestly, I don't know what to do about it! I don't want them to get away with it but what on earth is the appropriate action? Seriously-ground them every time they lie? They would never see the light of day for weeks on end! Soap in thier mouth? That is child abuse these days. I don't want to just dismiss the lies...little lies lead to big lies, and some big lies lead to jail.

I guess for now it's punish the lie depending on the severity of the lie and just hope like heck they outgrow this lying nonsense sooner rather than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment